Tuesday 4 September 2012

10 reasons to go to university


Just the other day, I ran into someone I used to go to school with. You know the kind of person I'm talking about - the one you haven't seen since your last toy day in Junior School, not because they moved, but because you've spent the rest of your days avoiding them. The one who you always disliked for no damn good reason, and the one who you hoped would just go to college or Zimbabwe already. Anyways, I hadn't seen this person since starting at university, so we had a nice chat, witty repartee and an awkward silence when I was inevitably asked: "So what are you doing with yourself these days?"

Make no mistake that the awed silence I was hoping for did not follow my response that I am studying a BA in History at Swansea University. She looked at me with a look of disbelief, and began ranting about her own life in college. Not one question about university. Absolutely zilch. I should've at least thought she'd ask me about my life as a student or why I decided to study at university but nothing. And so, I've decided to give her an answer, (despite the fact that she didn't want one), on why I'm at university and why most people probably should be too.


So, why should students go to university? Let's start with the off putting facts.

In the beginning, it will probably be awful, I'm not going to lie. It will seem like you have gone back in time to the very first day of school as you cry for your mother, stop caring what you look like when you go outdoors and begin to wear your backpack on both shoulders all over again. You will start believing that dancing in the rain is a legitimate activity and you will find yourself being greeted all over campus, while you wonder who the hell just said hello to you. Exactly like nursery, you will soon realise how necessary snack time is, start crossing the street without looking for cars, realise how important daily naps are and you will never eat any of the healthy food that you are supposed to eat. I suppose that I'm making it sound slightly of chronic, but there is a plus side to all this 'growing up'. (Oh ignore the irony.)

 This may all sound repulsive to the average incoming fresher but, believe me, you will soon forget your classmates names and pine for letters from your parents. The amount of times I have woken at half eight, pulled on a pair of jeans and a hoodie over my pyjama top, is far too many to count. I find that this applies to the fortunate few who live on campus rather than a house several miles away.

Knowing you have finally settled into university life is marked by certain milestones which are usually achieved throughout the first year; You'll find yourself walking at least two miles for a party, wearing dirty socks three times in a row, (and thinking nothing of it),  going to sleep when it's light and waking up when it's dark and looking out the window as a form of entertainment. You will know the pizza boy by name. You'll rather clean than study (isn't that weird??) and suddenly, rearranging your room becomes a new hobby. Having a phone in your bedroom means prank phone calls, you start scheduling your classes around sleep habits and shows and you realise that the weekend lasts from Thursday to Sunday.

After all that, if you're still determined to go, here are the reasons why being a student is just plain awesome.

1. You can make your A-levels a horrible memory
It seems bizarre, but I found that the best way to move on from A-level results days was realising that I was soon venturing into the big bad world of university. When you're at university, nobody actually cares how you did in your exams. You were smart in Secondary School, so what? There are more interesting things to talk about, like who threw up all over that girl they fancy last night after having 10 shots or the winning strategies of the lottery.

2.You'll actually be interested in what you're learning
At school, you have no say in what you get to learn but at university, you do. Studying History, I choose what eras I want to study. You don't even have to stick to the parameters of your course - I'm taking a module in media studies this year. Just for the lols.

3. Cash
When we consider the long term effects of going to university, you can't deny that there are a few benefits. You're much more likely to be living it large one day. The average graduate this year earns a salary that starts at £26,000. That's 4% more than graduates were earning in 2009. Realistically, there's not really been a better time to study a degree.


4. The wonderful benefits you can bring to your country
The UK is, let's be honest, slightly deprived of skills, and is in desperate need of highly educated people. And university, well, it educates people... highly. So, by studying at university, you can tell all your distant relatives who have taken a sudden interest in their soon-to-be graduate relation, that you're working for Britain.  Of course, don't let it slip that working means sleeping all day, dossing around and bringing severe damage to your liver. Which leads nicely to my next point.

Time to doss around! 
5. It's the one chance you get to doss around.
If you're one of THOSE people who thinks that the benefits of leaving education and launching yourself into full time work is better than the student lifestyle, think again. Admittedly, the average wage that young people and students earn isn't all that, (and that's if you can even find a job), but weigh that against our way of life.  It  is a rare moment in my life when anyone in my flat is awake before 9am. The average boss wouldn't allow you to put your feet up at half past nine every morning to watch Jeremy Kyle, never mind the benefits of 1:25pm and 2:15pm viewings, which is a necessity if you, like me, are not awake until past midday.

6. Tell me what else you're going to do?
No, seriously. Without a degree, finding a good and well-paid job is tough. All your student friends will be calling you at 1am from a far, honouring you with drunken texts declaring their love for you and telling you how much fun they're having. You'll still be living at home. You'll still be living with your parents. You'll still have a curfew. And you'll be constantly nagged by family members to apply to university already. You might as well bite the bullet, and get going.

7. Remember, it's never too late.
You don't necessarily have to be fresh out of school to be able to cash in on a student loan and go to university.  I know people on my course at university who are nearing their thirties, (and doing a much better job than me at passing their degrees.) One of my friends took a gap year last year to doss around and travel. It's never ever too late to get educated.

8. Getting to meet people
The first day of moving into your brand new accommodation is one of the most exciting and scary days that you'll ever experience. Sharing accommodation with dozens of teenagers is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The kitchens will become rat-ridden, the sink will be piled high with moldy plates and cups and there will be arguments about borrowed milk or bread, but, you will make amazing lifelong friends.  You'll learn how to do magical things called cooking, budgeting and being independent. And it's actually fun, especially when you're surrounded by like-minded people to either sympathise with you or to laugh at when things go wrong. 

Plus, you have the most incredible times with these people. I particularly remember having a high speed chase with my friends in our flatmates car during a fire alarm at around four in the morning, where we bought skittles from a petrol station, drove along deserted roads and got followed by a mysterious person in a blue car. It was scary at the time, but we can now look back on it and laugh.

9. You'll have crazy experiences that you can't find anywhere else.
Since being at university, I've joined the student newspaper, History society, photography society, media society, French society... So maybe I haven't been involved with all of them, but that's just because I've been making friends, working and watching Jeremy Kyle. I've made last minute decisions to sign up to societies that I know I wouldn't be able to be a part of in a million years, like Cheerleading or vegetable appreciation groups. I've stayed up chatting until dawn and won an award for writing an article about prostitutes. (Don't ask.) I've stayed in clubs until closing time and even had conversations with hobos at 4am. Student life will offer you opportunities that go way beyond education.

10. There's a very small chance that you'll 'go down in history.'
(Check out this link to prove that! ---> Celebrities that went to college )
By the time that you graduate, it may turn out that your course has inspired you into new found greatness. It's the ultimate reason to go to university: spending three years meeting new people, enjoying yourself and figuring out who you are might push you to work out what it is you want to do with your life.

So, if I were you, I'd go for it. There are another good few reasons not to give it a go but, that's for another discussion. If you're going to university this year, good luck! And if not, well, good luck for when you do decide to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment